Acting on behalf of an employer: Help with declaration of compliance
The declaration of compliance is an online form for employers to tell The Pensions Regulator how they have met their legal duties.
You cannot complete a declaration on behalf of an employer until the employer’s staging date (or postponement date).
The information you submit will form an official record of the employer's compliance, so you must make sure it is correct.
Before you start
To be able to complete a declaration of compliance on behalf of an employer you will need to first register with the government gateway as an agent. To do this you need to ask us for an agent reference number. Follow the steps below:
Ask for an agent reference number from The Pensions Regulator
You must have an agent reference number to register with Government Gateway as an agent. Fill in the form and we will email your reference number to you.
Get a Government Gateway ID
Register as an agent with the Government Gateway to get a username and password to get access to The Pension Regulator’s online declaration of compliance form.
Log in to the Government Gateway
Select ‘Automatic enrolment online registration (for agents) – The Pensions Regulator’. You’ll then be asked for your agent reference number given by The Pensions Regulator (step 1 above) and your postcode.
To do this you will need the employer's letter code (sent to them by The Pensions Regulator in letters about automatic enrolment) and one of the PAYE references that they use. Without these details, you will not be able to add an employer to your profile and act on their behalf.
To complete a declaration of compliance on behalf of an employer, you will need:
- Details of the pension scheme(s) the employer has used for automatic enrolment. You can find this in the policy booklet or scheme documentation.
- All relevant PAYE references
- Number of staff in employment on the employer's staging date who were:
- already in a pension scheme that the employer also pays into
- put into a pension scheme
- did not meet the age and earnings criteria to be put into a pension scheme.
- Name and address details of the employer.
- Companies House number (or if you do not have one, your industrial and provident society number, registered charity number or VAT registration number).
Our declaration of compliance checklist gives a list of all the information you will need to have ready to be able to complete a declaration.
Bringing a staging date forward
To tell The Pensions Regulator about bringing a staging date forward you will need to:
- give the references of the PAYE scheme(s) the employer uses. You will also need to let us know if they do not use a PAYE scheme.
- If the employer has staff to put into a pension scheme, make sure they have agreement from the pension scheme they've chosen that it can be used for automatic enrolment from the new staging date
- give the employer's name and address as well as your contact details
If you are acting on behalf of an employer that shares its PAYE scheme with other employers you will need to contact us to bring forward their staging date as you won't be able to use this online form.
« Back to log in and declaration